Customer Disservice - A Tesco Standard? ~ Tesco-Complaint

Friday, October 27, 2006

Customer Disservice - A Tesco Standard?

I got so irritated by the queues and unmanned tills at the Elephant and Castle Tesco Metro that I wrote to complain and received a bland, form response. So I wrote back:

You say your 'aim is to have no more than three other customers waiting in front of you at any one time'. I reiterate that the Elephant & Castle branch of Tesco Metro consistently fails to meet this aim. No doubt this is because most of the staff are off sick most of the time. I imagine Tescos is a pretty sickening environment to work in and that alarm that goes off every couple of minutes @ the Elephant is especially enervating. I would like to spend as little time in the place as possible and that is why I would prefer not to have to queue for ages at the checkout.
A couple of weeks later, I had another go:
I recently wrote to complain about the queues at the Elephant and Castle branch of Tesco and received a bland response about your corporate target of not having more than three customers queuing at at till. As I pointed out in a subsequent e-mail, the Elephant and Castle consistently fails to meet this target. I've just been there and, just after nine o'clock in the morning, only a couple of tills were open and there were queues of at least two dozen people at each. It's not as if they were short of staff, either, as herds of them were restocking shelves and standing around in little groups with their arms folded, chatting. Happily, this enervating circumstance did not detain me as I merely dumped my basket and left. I'll go to Somerfield on Walworth Road later, but thought I would take a few more minutes, from the kindness of my heart to remind you how appalling your store @ the Elephant is. Roll on the demolition!
And I received the same insincere corporate response:
I am sorry to learn of the problems experienced with delays at the checkout in our Elephant Castle Metro store. I can understand how inconvenient this was for you. Our aim is to have no more than three other customers waiting in front of you at any one time unless, of course, all checkouts are open. To ensure this, the queue lengths are monitored regularly and the information is used to compile schedules to make sure that there is an adequate number of staff on duty. Our staff are multi-skilled, in case the need should arise for extra cover on the checkouts. We have also installed a paging system, to keep management informed of the situation at all times. Despite these efforts, there are occasions when the '3 in front' standard cannot be achieved, i.e. when there are staff shortages due to illness. I can assure you that all of our stores try exceptionally hard to serve customers as quickly as possible. Thank you for bringing your views to our attention. We will bear your comments in mind when we next review this policy.
Yeah. Right. Bollocks!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I work in a Tesco store in Cardiff on the checkouts. Our team is probably the most friendly you will meet in any supermarket. We do our best to keep queues down (which are monitored reguarly) and if a customer needs help, we make sure they are helped.
Even if we've got a hangover or a headache or if the last customer has pissed us off because there's a speck of dirt on the floor or we don't stock a product which is all organic, fat free, fair trade, gluten free, meat free, wheat free and dairy free...we don't let that affect us. If a store is busy, it's busy...that means there might be queues...that's life! Now you're probably saying, "ah they're a tesco employee, they would say that!" Ask our customers. You're just one pissed off individual and the British people are happy with Tesco's friednly service. If we closed down all our stores, you'd soon complain.

Anonymous said...

"Even if we've got a hangover"

You shouldnt be at work with a hangover you drunkard.

"Ask our customers. You're just one pissed off individual and the British people are happy with Tesco's friednly service."

Thats what you think? Check the poll - it shows the majority of people think you're shite.

"If we closed down all our stores, you'd soon complain.

You barely have the power to close a sale so dont think too much of yourself fool!

Anonymous said...

check the poll? yeah, this is where people who like tesco hang out(!)

Anonymous said...

Jim, why try review sites such as DooYoo for a more balanced look?

Like the employee above said, when it's busy it's busy, you just need to suck it up and deal with it like an adult. Perhaps Tesco can't find enough people willing to put up with people like you day in day out.

I know I wouldn't.

Anonymous said...

"If we closed down all our stores, you'd soon complain."

er, i don't think so pal. i for one would be ecstatic.

Anonymous said...

you might be but the rest of britain wouldn't

Anonymous said...

Like anonymous, I also work in a Tesco store. Having worked in customer service (and not just Tesco) for twenty odd years I know that some people will find any excuse to complain and find fault, usually for no reason at all (actually they usually complain in the hope of gaining a financial advantage). Not only do they complain, they are quite often abusive as well. As professionals (with or without hangovers!)we try to refrain from responding to this abuse. And I would like to point out that the abusive customers are NOT youngsters.
As for queues, what wrong with them ? I thought English people were good at queuing.

Anonymous said...

As for queues, what wrong with them ? I thought English people were good at queuing.

...Great attitude to take, Tesco layabout!